I’m not a big fan of lemonade. Lemon squares on the other hand….
So I just went to NYC for the weekend. For work, but really, for a much needed mental health break. I got to go purse shopping with Mrs. Figby and hang out with her family. I was lucky enough to be there on a special day for them, and then there was the Superbowl, so that worked out and we had a great time.
Not so great though was the snow storm that kept me there one extra night. Actually, it turned out to be nothing. The sidewalks were super slippery, people think they own boots, but they are not ‘winter’ boots so they are neither water-proof nor grippy. Here are some of the highlights of my extra day in NYC:
- My husband got really lucky finding me a hotel room for 100$ in midtown. Apparently everyone else was booked up
- My hotel was across the street from the Port Authority bus station, next door to a Division of Parole building complete with metal detectors and people in handcuffs being loaded into padded vans. There were also 2 sex shops and a really skeevy liquor store. It made for fun walks!
- MadeWell and Antropologie clothes no longer fit nicely on my new body shape. Apparently boob-less with jelly stomach is not a body share for them.I logged over 21000 steps in one day on my Fitibit. About 1000 of those steps were to get to dinner at Joe Allen.
- I know there are better restaurants, but I was in the Theater district, I knew where it was, and it was better than Applebees in Time Square
- On the way back, I paid 9$ for a chocolate mousse cake from the Cake Boss Cafe. That was a huge mistake.
- One block from the hotel was the Japanese store MUJI which I had missed last time. I spoiled myself with a cape/scarf/shrug combo.
- I saw Joan Rivers up-close at the gift show. She looks as frightening in person as you would imagine.
- My hotel did not have Bravo. Total disappointment
- I misplaced my mitts, so I wore socks on my hands to keep work. #canadianmcgyver
- At MUJI I bought a notebook that I will use to turn into my #lazy diary. It’s not my idea, it’s Fluid Puddings: one sentence per day (maybe with a doodle), on paper. then take a pic and Instragram it with #lazyjournal.
- there was a Dean and Deluca one block away. i would have gone in, but it was after diner. Except now I have an overwhelming urge to watch Felicity.
- My car service was cancelled because he got into an accident. My replacement car got into an accident with me IN the car. He jumped out of the car, too a pic with his cell phone, had the traffic cop give me an incident number and we were back on the road in less than 5 minutes
When I heard my flight was cancelled early Monday morning, I was pretty pissed. But in the end, I had a great time. Not nearly as ambitious or adventurous as it could have been. But the theaters were dark on Monday, my legs were killing me from walking 15000 and 21000 steps in 2 days. Still, I made the best of it and had a good time.
Delicious lemons squares this turned out to be.